We put together a list of Orem Library staff’s favorite releases from 2016 that are now a part of our collection. See what made our top five in each category below and then go check them out!
- A Child of Books by Oliver Jeffers (P Jeffers)
A young reader introduces a boy to the many imaginative worlds that books bring to life.
- The Water Princess by Susan Verde (P Verde)
- Maybe Something Beautiful: How Art Transformed a Neighborhood by F. Isabel Campoy and Theresa Howell (P Campoy)
- The Night Gardener by Terry Fan and Eric Fan (P Fan)
- Girl & Gorilla: Out and About by Rick Walton (P Walton)
- The Thank You Book by Mo Willems (B Willems)
In the 25th installment to the Elephant and Piggie series, Piggie decides to thank everyone who is important to her, but Gerald is worried she will forget someone.
- Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea by Ben Clanton (I Clanton)
- Lucy by Randy Cecil (I Cecil)
- Pugs of the Frozen North by Philip Reeve (I Reeve)
- Is That Wise, Pig? by Jan Thomas (P Thomas)
- Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk (J Wolk)
Twelve-year-old Annabelle must learn to stand up for what’s right in the face of a manipulative and violent new bully who targets people Annabelle cares about, including a homeless World War I veteran.
- Summerlost by Ally Condie (J Condie)
- Pax by Sara Pennypacker (J Pennypacker)
- Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo (J DiCamillo)
- The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill (J Barnhill)
- Freedom in Congo Square by Carole Weatherford (J 976.335 W3784)
As slaves relentlessly toiled in an unjust system in 19th century Louisiana, they counted down the days until Sunday, when for half a day they were able to congregate in Congo Square in New Orleans.
- I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark by Debbie Levy (J 921 Ginsburg)
- Jazz Day: The Making of a Famous Photograph by Roxanne Orgill (J 781.6509 Or398)
- We Will Not Be Silent: The White Rose Student Resistance Movement that Defied Adolf Hitler by Russell Freedman (J 943.086 F8757)
- Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier (J 741.5973 T237)
- The Winner’s Kiss (The Winner’s Trilogy, #3) by Marie Rutkoski (T Rutkoski)
War has begun. Arin is in the thick of it with untrustworthy new allies and the empire as his enemy. In the frozen north, Kestrel is a prisoner in a brutal work camp searching desperately for a way to escape. The East is pitted against the West, and with so much to lose, can anybody really win?
- If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo (T Russo)
- Unbecoming by Jenny Downham (T Downham)
- My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier (T Larbalestier)
- The Forbidden Orchid by Sharon Biggs Waller (T Waller)
- The City of Mirrors: A Novel by Justin Cronin (SF Cronin)
You followed The Passage. You faced The Twelve. Now enter The City of Mirrors for the final reckoning. As the bestselling epic races to a breathtaking finale, Justin Cronin’s band of hardened survivors await the second coming of unspeakable darkness.
- Nutshell: A Novel by Ian McEwan (McEwan)
- The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin (SF Jemisin)
- The Underground Railroad: A Novel by Colson Whitehead (Whitehead)
- The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu (Liu)
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi (921 Kalanithi)
On the verge of completing a decade’s worth of training as a neurosurgeon, Kalanithi was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. Kalanithi chronicles his transformation from a naïve medical student into a neurosurgeon at Stanford working on the brain, the most critical place for human identity, and finally into a patient and a new father confronting his own mortality.
- Baring Witness: 36 Mormon Women Talk Candidly About Love, Sex, and Marriage edited by Holly Welker (M243.64 B2397)
- Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah (791.4502)
- The Ghost of Eternal Polygamy: Haunting the Hearts and Heaven of Mormon Women and Men by Carol Lynn Pearson (M234.71 P3172)
- The Hour of Land: A Personal Topography of America’s National Parks by Terry Tempest Williams (333.7809 W6758)
- Blackstar by David Bowie (Pop/Rock Bowie)
This seven-track album is the 25th and final studio album by the legendary art-rock musician, who died of liver cancer two days after its release.
- Skeleton Tree by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (Pop/Rock Cave)
- You Want It Darker by Leonard Cohen (Folk Contemporary Cohen)
- Puberty 2 by Mitski (Pop/Rock Mitski)
- This Is Acting by Sia (Pop/Rock Sia)
- The Witch (HO 19187)
A family in 1630s New England faces destruction by the forces of witchcraft, black magic, and possession. When one of their five children goes missing and their life-sustaining crops fail, they fall victim to paranoia and fear as they begin to turn on one another.
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople (CO 19356)
- Hail, Caesar! (CO 19327)
- Hell or High Water (DR 19452)
- Captain America: Civil War (FA 17637)