This recipe for Strawberry and Red Onion Salad is found in Flat Belly Diet! by Liz Vaccariello. It serves 4 and is only 189 calories per serving. I wasn’t willing to buy some of the ingredients until I knew I like this recipe so I substituted what I had–strawberry jam, 2 tsp vinegar instead of 1 and 1 tsp of flaxseed oil. I used iceberg lettuce and I left out the red pepper flakes since I don’t like the heat. I took this to our family home evening group and everyone loved it. I will make it again!
Strawberry and Red Onion Salad
- 3 tbsp. strawberry all-fruit spread
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp organic cold-pressed flaxseed oil
- 18 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/4 cantaloupe, cut into cubes
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium head escarole, torn in pieces
- 1 cup diced Hass avocado
- Freshly ground black pepper
1) In a medium bowl, combine the all-fruit spread, vinegar, olive oil, flaxseed oil, salt, and red pepper flakes until well blended. Gently fold in the strawberries, cantaloupe, bell pepper, and onion. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
2) Place the escarole in a serving bowl. Add the avocado and the strawberry mixture and toss to coat. Season with the black pepper to taste and divide evenly among 4 plates.